Wednesday, September 9, 2009

In Search of Memory by Eric R. kandel

Just to show you I am not a complete idiot, I read this book for you. The idea is take a bunch of genetically engineered lab mice, splice them together with poignant memories of Nazi Vienna and then come up with the answer to where memory resides.

Nobel Laureate Kandel, intertwines the intellectual history of the powerful new science of the mind--a combination of cognitive psychology, neuroscience and molecular biology--with his own personal quest to understand memory.

From Vienna to Laboratory, Kandel searches for the biological basis of memory.
I wish I could remember what his conclusions are. Take my day, move it from my hippocampus to my pre-frontal cortex and what do you get? Some weird-ass dreams.

Memory in my opinion, and I think I speak for Roger Penrose, who is known for his periodic tiling of the plane (he did my bathrooms) and his friendships and falling-outs with Steven Hawking, resides in quantum effect. We can't find the basis for it because we are looking for it. And what are we looking for it with? Our memory in good measure. Look-break a vase and then try to fix it with the broken vase (poor analogy). Can't be done. We look inside of our consciousness to see what is there, but we are stymied by the fact that the tool we use is the tool we are looking for.

Anyway, he seems like a nice guy, and he DID win the Nobel Prize and his quest, as all noble quests, is remarkable and courageous. Maybe he's right after all. I just can't remember. (OK. Enough of that!)


0 comments: